Tropical Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology

ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year
: 2016  |  Volume : 33  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 279--283

Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia: Prevalence, risk factors, and utilization of screening services among an urban population in Nigeria


BT Utoo1, PM Utoo2, SD Ngwan3, SA Anzaku4, MA Daniel5 
1 Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, College of Health Sciences, Benue State University/Benue State University Teaching Hospital, Makurdi, Nigeria
2 Department of Epidemiology and Community Health, College of Health Sciences, Benue State University/Benue State University Teaching Hospital, Makurdi, Nigeria
3 Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Federal Medical Centre, Makurdi, Nigeria
4 Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Bingham University Teaching Hospital, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria
5 Department of Family Medicine, Federal Medical Centre, Makurdi, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
B T Utoo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, College of Health Sciences, Benue State University/Benue State University Teaching Hospital, Makurdi
Nigeria

Background: Cervical intraepithelial lesion is a precursor lesion for cancer of the cervix. It is usually asymptomatic and can only be detected through screening. Purpose: This study was designed to determine the prevalence, risk factors, and utilization of screening services for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia among the women. Methods: It was a cross-sectional study during an organized screening program for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN) using Pap smear among women in July 2013 at the University Teaching Hospital, North Central Nigeria. Results: Out of the 286 women interviewed, 208 agreed to be screened giving a response rate of 72.7%. Most (72.1%) of them were 31–50 years, 78.4% were married, and 65.4% had a tertiary level of education. Approximately, 77% became sexually active as teenagers. CIN 1 and CIN 2/3 accounted for 4.8% and 2.9%, respectively. Overall, low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion and high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion amounted to 7.7%. The risk of intraepithelial lesion is higher among those with multiple sexual partners, early coitarche, and ever use of oral contraceptive pills (odds ratio 1.76, 0.8, and 1.4). Only 9.8% of the total population interviewed had ever screened at least once in the past. Even among those with a positive result for CIN, only 18.8% had ever screened. Conclusion: Organized screening programs for early detection and treatment of CIN, modification of risky social behaviors, and vaccination of teenage women should be promoted as crucial steps to preventing cancer of the cervix.


How to cite this article:
Utoo B T, Utoo P M, Ngwan S D, Anzaku S A, Daniel M A. Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia: Prevalence, risk factors, and utilization of screening services among an urban population in Nigeria.Trop J Obstet Gynaecol 2016;33:279-283


How to cite this URL:
Utoo B T, Utoo P M, Ngwan S D, Anzaku S A, Daniel M A. Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia: Prevalence, risk factors, and utilization of screening services among an urban population in Nigeria. Trop J Obstet Gynaecol [serial online] 2016 [cited 2021 Mar 1 ];33:279-283
Available from: https://www.tjogonline.com/article.asp?issn=0189-5117;year=2016;volume=33;issue=3;spage=279;epage=283;aulast=Utoo;type=0